Friday 4 January 2013

Peach and Coconut Quinoa Porridge

Happy New Year! I hope you had a great new years eve!

I definitely did, although it was somewhat untraditional...
I spent my new years eve on a mountain in the middle of nowhere staying with my sugar-fuelled toddler cousins, playing charades and stargazing! I was disapointed when I first realised that I was going to be away for New years, especially since the Sydney fireworks are always so spectacular, but in the end it was lots of fun! 




As a result of the middle-of-nowhere-with-no-internet nature of the trip, in the brief moments of peace not spent babysitting my cousins it was easy to get bored. My solution? Cookbooks!

I've always loved a good cookbook, but until now I've rarely 'read' a cookbook. Flicked maybe, bookmarked a favourite recipe here and there, cooked from them, but never really read them start to finish. However, my Aunt and Uncle's fabulous collection of cookbooks was irresistible, and so I did. I read and read and read, and I can assure you that I'm so inspired now that I intend to spend most every spare moment of my summer left (only a month! my, it goes so fast!) cooking all sorts of wonderful things!

The cookbook that probably interested the most was 'Cooking with Quinoa: The Supergrain' because it had all sorts of uses and information about quinoa that I'd never thought about, such as high protein desserts or breakfast dishes.




So, this morning, stuck for ideas and stomach growling, I figured I might as well give quinoa porridge a try! It worked well, and I really enjoyed it, though admittedly it really just tasted of quinoa, so next time I'll have to add stronger flavours. Still, I was full until far beyond lunchtime and so I'd say it was a success!


Peach and Coconut Quinoa Porridge

1/2 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
1/2 cup milk
1 cup water
2 tsp dessicated coconut
1 nectarine, sliced
A drizzle of honey (optional)

1. Combine all ingredients except nectarine and honey in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until all liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is somewhat translucent.
3. Remove from heat and serve, topped with nectarine and honey (if using). Serves 2



Mia x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why hello there! If you liked or disliked this post or just want to say 'hi', feel free to leave a comment. I love getting comments- it's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading what I have to say, and they're really motivating!
Mia xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...