Wednesday 9 January 2013

Plum and Chocolate Jam

I mentioned earlier in the week the box of plums that I got at the markets, but I don't think I really made clear the scale I was talking about. See, when I'm at the markets surrounded by pallets of such fruits as watermelon and huge sacks of flour and other, equally oversized, things, everything seems proportionately much smaller than it really is, which is how I justify the 10 kilos of plums I ended up bringing home. 10 kilos. Even after making 11 jars of this amazing jam and eating a few, 7.5 kg are left!



But this recipe is certainly worth making, even if you're not trying to use up plums. When I found a recipe for a jam with chocolate in it, I knew straight away I had to make it, and it's even better than I expected. The cocoa adds a subtle, but delicious chocolate flavour, and somehow brings out the flavour of the plums. Plus your whole house will smell fantastic whilst it cooks! Also, there's a certain thrill that comes with using several bags of sugar in one recipe every once in a while, as if to say 'Healthy eating? Who cares!' Or maybe that's just me.



Plum and Chocolate Jam
Based on: http://growitcookitcanit.com/2011/09/10/chocolate-plum-jam/

15 cups diced plums (approx 2.5 kg whole)
9 1/4 cups sugar (use a measuring jug rather than a cup!)
75g cocoa powder
75ml lemon juice

1. Combine cocoa and 1 1/4 cups of sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Place remaining ingredients (including the left over sugar) in a large, nonreactive saucepan over medium/high heat and bring to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally.
3. Add cocoa mixture and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 104˚C (220˚F). Place a spoonful in a small bowl and place in the freezer for two minutes. If the surface wrinkles a little when you run your finger through, it's done, and otherwise continue simmering and testing until it does. Makes approx. 11 small jars

Mia xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why hello there! If you liked or disliked this post or just want to say 'hi', feel free to leave a comment. I love getting comments- it's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading what I have to say, and they're really motivating!
Mia xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...