Monday 24 September 2012

Banana & Coconut Granola



This is my first time making granola, but it won't be my last! It's super, duper easy, really delicious and really healthy, plus every mouthful tastes like summer's coming.

This particular recipe has some slightly unusual ingredients- coconut oil and flaxseed- but I don't imagine they're entirely necessary. You could certainly leave the flaxseed out, or substitute other seeds, though as to the coconut oil I'm less sure. I think it'd be OK without, but you could also try using some other form of fat if you'd like.

Or you could just leave and find another recipe. It'd be better for you I'm sure. It's OK :'(

But really, this recipe is so easy, I'm in some sort of denial of the fact I hadn't tried it before. Grab some stuff, mix it all together, whack it on a tray, go do something else and BAM! delicious breakfasts for a week!



I think it's one of the best cereals I've ever had- certainly much better than run-of-the-mill shop bought muesli- and there's less effort, less nasties (actually none), and maybe even less time, involved so it's sort of win-win. Yay! Win-win situations always make me happy!

I feel a 'granola phase' coming on, so prepare yourselves for plenty more recipes like this (not that granola recipes could possibly be considered a 'bad' thing :) )



Banana and Coconut Granola
Based on: http://www.spoonfulofsugarfree.com/2012/04/10/banana-coconut-granola/
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 3 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup dried, unsweetened coconut (shredded, flakes or dessicated, whatever you prefer)
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons flaxseeds
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 150˚c (300˚f)
  2. Combine all ingredients until evenly mixed, and spread in an even layer on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly crunchy. Stir the granola once or twice throughout cooking time.
  4. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving or storing. The granola will crisp up more while it cools. Makes approx. 10 serves
Mia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why hello there! If you liked or disliked this post or just want to say 'hi', feel free to leave a comment. I love getting comments- it's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading what I have to say, and they're really motivating!
Mia xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...