Thursday 17 May 2012

Apple and Date muffins

Some days you just know you're meant to make muffins.


You don't know what sort or even whether they'll be sweet or savoury, but you're 100% sure that muffins are the thing to make.


During the week I had one of those days. I realised I hadn't made muffins in.... well.... let's just say WAY too long. Looking around, their were all sorts of interesting ideas.


Part of me wanted to make savoury muffins because they are pretty yummy and it seemed awfully responsible to bake something that could almost be called healthy... but as usual, the other part of me won and I made the much-less-healthy-but-really-really-yummy version.






Not that they were the least healthy muffins in the world. I mean they're wholemeal, full of oats AND they contain fruit. Sounds healthy to me!


And they were delicious! Who knew date and apple was such a good combination; you'll be seeing it again here for sure!






They are based on the master muffin recipe.


I don't think I've ever baked a muffin, sweet or savoury, that wasn't based on this recipe. It has a very easy basic recipe, and then pages of quantities and advice for editing it. It even covers savoury muffins! I'll post the whole thing here sometime, but for now why not give these a try?


Apple and Date Muffins


1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour (you can use white if you prefer)
1 cup rolled oats (85 g)
1/2 cup caster sugar (120g)
1 cup buttermilk (265g)
1 egg
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
3/4 cup chopped dates
1 apple, grated


1. Preheat oven to 180˚c. Line a muffin tin with patty pans.
2. Combine flour, oats and sugar in a bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir together gently, being careful not to overstir.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes (12 for mini muffins).
5. Turn out onto wire racks and allow to cool.


Enjoy!


Mia

4 comments:

  1. I love your muffins, too cute post about healthy issues. Just visiting from the Blog Hop and am now following you. I would so love if you would share your muffins at Freedom Fridays. Hoping to see you there.

    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I found you through the blog hop. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! Stopping by from the Networking Blog Hop...I am your newest follower! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so delicious! I am visiting from Thee Blog Hop and I am a new follower! I hope you'll drop by http://www.garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ and do the same.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Why hello there! If you liked or disliked this post or just want to say 'hi', feel free to leave a comment. I love getting comments- it's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading what I have to say, and they're really motivating!
Mia xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...