Wednesday 14 March 2012

Orange Pancakes

Continuing on with my rainbow theme, this week I wanted to make something orange.


At first I thought something orange in colour, but nothing particularly suited me.


Then all of a sudden, I realised I could do something orange in flavour!






Oh, the possibilities this opened up!


So many possibilities, in fact, that I was completely unable to make a decision. Oh dear.


I still hadn't decided when Eva came home one day, dissapointed she'd missed out on pancakes at her school's pancake day stall.


And that is how, one Tuesday afternoon, I came to be making orange flavoured pancakes!


(You didn't really need to know that, did you? Never mind!)






They were pretty yummy, these orange pancakes, but they were thick. So, so thick!


The mixture was like bread dough, so we added A LOT of milk/orange juice. 2 cups ish, in fact!


(I've incorporated this into the recipe)


But you could certainly add more for a thinner pancake, so be sure to fiddle with the liquid to flour ratio!


The orange flavour was fantastic, and I actually quite liked how thick they were.


In fact, they're more of a pikelet than a pancake in a way.


They're great with normal pancake toppings, but my two favourites were:


1. Maple and Orange Juice- The sweetness of the maple goes perfectly with the citrus of the orange. Sort of like a twist on the more traditional lemon-sugar combo!


2. Honey and Yogurt- A bit of plain yogurt with some honey drizzled on is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!


Actually, these topping go with any pancake, but were even better on the thick, orange flavoured ones I reckon!


Orange pancakes
Based on: http://www.taste.com.au/kitchen/recipes/orange+pancakes,9406


Ingredients


Makes about 20 pancakes

  • 500g plain flour, sifted
  • 500ml milk
  • Zest of an orange
  • Juice of 2 oranges
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp brown sugar

Place flour, sugar and orange zest into medium bowl. Mix together with wooden spoon unit combined.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and ad egg, milk and orange juice. Mix until well combined and creamy.
Pour mixture into a lightly greased hot fry pan. Each pancake will take about 1 minute to each side.
Serve with a topping of your choice e.g. Chocolate hazelnut spread, golden syrup, lemon, sugar or orange juice and some extra zest.


3 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delicious. I don't bake anywhere near enough! I am very good at collecting recipes though. Would love it if you would had any party recipes you wanted to link up at my log launch party.

    http://craftbotics.blogspot.com

    I am following on GFC

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound soo good. I love citrus foods. I have made apple pancakes but not orange. Best of luck with your blog. I like the title and logo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Thank you! I love getting comments :)

    Rosie- I'm flattered! Baking is the best :) I've linked up some rainbow cupcakes to your link party! You're blog is very cute :)

    Tamika- Thanks! I must say, I'm in love with YOUR title and logo! The owl is just so cute, and if you've seen my pinterest you'll know I LOVE teapots!

    Mia x

    ReplyDelete

Why hello there! If you liked or disliked this post or just want to say 'hi', feel free to leave a comment. I love getting comments- it's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading what I have to say, and they're really motivating!
Mia xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...