Thursday 7 February 2013

Quinoa and Olive Flatbread



On the weekends, I'm always torn between wanting to cram in as much cooking/baking/blogging/making/getting organised/catching up with friends as I can and actually just wanting to stay in bed the whole time, watching friends and drinking tea. It's a big decision; if I get a lot done I'll feel good about it at the end of the weekend, but I'll mostly likely be just as (if not more tired) than when the weekend started and doesn't that defy the whole point of the weekend? To catch up on sleep? But then again, when else am I going to fit all those things in if I don't do them on the weekend, what with 7 or 8 hour school days and assignments etc.

So, being the indecisive creature I am, I generally just end up with a bit of both. I'll cook a few things, do a bit of homework, maybe see a friend who lives nearby and then sleep and rest and watch friends in between. It suits me well, leaves me rested but not feeling totally useless, and avoids an actual conclusive decision on the matter.



This bread fits that compromise perfectly; super quick and easy, with a cooking time that fits an episode perfectly, but equally satisfying and delicious at the end. I was pleasantly surprised by how little you could taste the quinoa (I do love quinoa, but by the smell I thought it would be too much for even me to handle), and how moist this bread was. I'd highly reccomend it, and think next time I'll try using it as sandwich bread, croutons or made slightly thinner for a dip platter!

Mia :)

Quinoa and Olive Flat Bread
Based on: Recipe pg 36 of 'Cooking with Quinoa; the supergrain' by Rena Patten

2 cups qunioa flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
12-14 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1 cup warm water

1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Combine the quinoa flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, salt and oregano in a bowl. Toss in the olive oil and sliced olives and use your hands to mix in as much water as it takes to form a soft and pliable, but not sticky, dough.
3. On a floured bench, lightly knead the dough to ensure all the olives are evenly distributed. Shape into a disc, approximately 20cm in diameter, and place on the prepared baking tray. Using a knife, make 3-4 light slashes across the bread. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
4. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Serve with sandwich fillings, or with hummus on a dip platter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why hello there! If you liked or disliked this post or just want to say 'hi', feel free to leave a comment. I love getting comments- it's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading what I have to say, and they're really motivating!
Mia xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...