Saturday 26 January 2013

Wholemeal Blueberry and Oat Muffins



At the beach with some friends yesterday, we picked up some berry and bran muffins. Not just any muffins, however, but the mositest, yummiest muffins I've possibly ever had. They were huge, dense and filling in a way that no white muffin could ever be, the sort of muffin which restores my hope in muffins everywhere. Of course, muffins as good as these left me with no choice but to recreate them.



I've always thought that when it comes to muffins, the denser, richer and wholegrainier, the better. I have fond memories from right back when I was quite small of Mum occasionally taking me to Muffin Break after doing the shopping, to sometimes share a muffin, or maybe get one each if I was lucky. She always chose the healthier bran muffins, which, although I didn't realise it at the time, were so much tastier than the fluffy white ones that I would have chosen.

These muffins aren't a perfect replica of those muffins yesterday, alas, but they're pretty close and (if I dare say so myself), mighty delicious. They're not as sweet as the originals, but thats good because it just means that it's okay to have more of them, you see? The berries are delicious, and the oats make these a satisfying, nutritious snack, which is the best thing about muffins: that they somehow manage to be healthy but treat-y, all at the same time.

Mia x

Wholemeal Blueberry and Oat Muffins
Based on:http://toddlertastes.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/wholemeal-and-oat-berry-muffins.html

1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup rice bran oil
1/3 cup greek yogurt
2 eggs
1 cup frozen blueberries

1. Line a medium sized muffin tin with patty-pans and preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F. Mix dry ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
2. Make a well in centre and add the eggs, yogurt and oil and mix until just combined. The mixture is meant to be quite dough like however it's hard to mix add a small amount of milk to loosen it. Once all mixed through, gently stir in blueberries. Fill the patty-pans with the mixture until approximately 3/4 full.
3. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 20 mins, or until the muffins spring back when touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why hello there! If you liked or disliked this post or just want to say 'hi', feel free to leave a comment. I love getting comments- it's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading what I have to say, and they're really motivating!
Mia xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...